Dr Marc A Russo
MBBS DA (UK) FANZCA FFPMANZCA
Specialist Pain Medicine Physician
Dr Marc Russo is the Director of Hunter Pain Clinic, Hamilton Day Surgery Centre, Genesis Research Services and Co-Director of the Innervate Pain Management Program. He founded Hunter Pain Clinic in 1999, Hamilton Day Surgery and Hunter Specialist Medical Centre in 2001, Hunter Clinical Research (now Genesis Research Services) in 2005, and Sydney Pain Specialists in 2016. He is also a co-founder of NAPS (Newcastle Anaesthetic Peri-operative Services).
Dr Russo's vision was to provide a multidisciplinary approach to pain management and developed Australia’s first private successful multidisciplinary pain management model. Using this approach with clinical diligence, early intervention, education and research in the field of pain management, he successfully treats patients suffering from chronic persistent pain.
Dr Russo specialises in spinal cord stimulator implantation and completed two successful world first spinal cord stimulator device implantations in Newcastle, NSW, Australia in 2011, establishing him as a leader in his field. He has also conducted first-in-man pain and device studies. He treats patients with a wide range of interventional pain medicine approaches, including a combination of pharmacotherapy and systems approaches.
Dr Russo has a special interest and expertise in treating and researching Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. He has been a principal investigator of numerous clinical trials assessing new treatments for CRPS. He has conducted over 40 clinical trials in different treatment areas.
Dr Russo has published over 40 journal articles. Click here to view the complete list of publications. He is a nationally and internationally requested speaker at Pain and Neuromodulation conferences and a past Secretary of the International Neuromodulation Society and Founding President of the Neuromodulation Society of Australia and New Zealand.
Dr Russo's current external appointments include:
- Director at Large of Neuromodulation Society of Australia and New Zealand (NSANZ)
- Director at Large of the International Neuromodulation Society (INS)
- Deputy Chair of the NSW Regional Committee of the Faculty Pain Medicine, Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists (ANZCA)
- Examiner for the Faculty of Pain Medicine (ANZCA) plus serves on 5 other committees of the Faculty
- Honorary Associate Professor, Department of Anaesthesiology, University of Hong Kong
- Conjoint Lecturer, Faculty of Health and Medicine, University of Newcastle, NSW, Australia